Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Random Observations and Occurrences

I have been working on this blog post for quite some time now. Therefore, it may seem out-of-date. These are in no particular order, but like the title describes, they are random observations and occurrences during my time thus far in Thailand.

Stray dogs: There are perhaps six or seven stray dogs that are regulars on our street in Bangkok. At Chulalongkorn University, where we study during the day, there are another fifteen or so local strays that claim the campus. I’m not entirely sure why there is such a giant population of stray dogs in Bangkok. However, the stray dogs are something I will never forget about being here.

Yellow shirts: In Thailand, there is a specific color used to represent each day of the week. The current King was born on a Monday. Monday is represented by the color yellow. Every Monday you will find the streets glowing with yellow polo shirts embroidered with the King’s symbol.

Government protests: Not really sure what I can say at this point. They are happening in and around the Government House in Bangkok. The protests are serious and at some points dangerous. I am learning more about the history of Thai politics and the nature of these protests through lectures at Chulalongkorn University. I may go into details of what I have learned in another blog post, but for now, just know that I am safe.

Tuk Tuks: The other evening, Kate and I hopped in a tuk tuk for what felt like the last time in our lives. Without hesitation, the driver swerved into on-coming traffic during rush hour in Bangkok. Thank god we’re alive, ha! Bangkok traffic is an almost indescribable monster. I just found out that people actually refer to motorcycles as mosquitoes because they weave in and out of traffic making their own lanes.

Meeting Nick: I wasn’t feeling much like myself one afternoon, so I decided to treat myself to some sushi. I went to this great Japanese restaurant near the dorm. During my meal, I was working on my lesson plan for the next morning, when an older Thai man walked up to my table. He said he wanted to know what meal I had ordered because I appeared to be enjoying it (I had ordered salmon sashimi on rice and seaweed—and it was FANTASTIC). He then asked me a few questions about why I was in Thailand, and I learned that he had lived in Vermont while in high school during our short conversation. At the end of the meal, I was waiting on the check which I expected to total something close to 400 baht (a bit more pricey than my typical street-food dinner costing 30-40 baht). Next thing I knew, this same Thai man came up again to my table to tell me that he took the liberty to pay my bill. He asked if he could sit and chat for a minute and of course I agreed. He told me that people he met in America had been so great to him that he wanted to give back. We talked about Thailand, about teaching, about U.S. economy, U.S. politics, and the upcoming election. I walked home with a smile, I walked home with admiration, realizing (yet again) how unboundedly generous Thai people can be. A week later, I had dinner again with Nick in order to learn more about him and his story. Apparently he loves to golf and has run his family’s business for over three decades or so. Again, kawp khun ka. Thank you Nick, thank you Thailand, and thank you wonderful people who inhabit this beautiful country.

Drinking juice from plastic bags: So, imagine thin plastic bags about the size of sandwich baggies but the consistency of grocery bags with small handles. These bags are seen in the hands of locals, filled with ice, juice or coffee, with a colorful straw leaning toward their mouths. Plastic bags instead of plastic cups? This is very interesting, but not entirely confusing –the bags are made from less plastic and most likely a cheaper alternative.

Kids in pajamas, siting on the back of motorcycles, late at night at the street vendors: ummm, ok.

Cheerleaders practicing everywhere: Dancing, singing, and cheerleading seem to be very popular here.

Running around National Stadium: My running routine around National Stadium during my time in Bangkok has provided some of the greatest reminders of faith and love in humanity. Feet to the pavement, running for my health and mental clarity, I find the beautiful reminder of faith presented in the smiling face and wave of a young Thai child. I don’t run away from things or past things, I run to see things more clearly. Running face to the wind (well, actually there is no breeze in Bangkok) helps me realize that the world is the backdrop which reinforces our faith in everything that exists in and around us.

2 comments:

Mabster said...

Paige, I am really enjoying your blog and what I am learning about life in Thailand. Tom and I are so happy for your success! We are also happy today because our country has a new president!!! YAY!
Mary Ann

slim21 said...

dude in el salvador we drank juice and soda out of plastic bags too. typically whoever was selling the drinks would poor the soda into the bag and keep the can or bottle to recycle and get money for. thats pretty cool. oy i miss you