Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Homestay with a Thai Family

All of the Fulbrighters went last weekend to stay with local Thai families connected with the Bangkok Rotary Club. These families are incredible for opening their homes to us. The weekend was fantastic. I really felt welcomed into the family during my two-day homestay. As it worked out, my original homestay family had other obligations, and I ended up spending the weekend with the homestay family assigned to Audra. No worries at all, it was a fantastic experience.

I look back now, smiling about the many memories I accumulated in such a short stay with perfectly hospitable strangers. I was lucky enough to spend time with their kids, Gikko (age 10) and Pah (age 14). As you will see in many of the pictures, they were always good for a smile and a laugh. The parents I stayed with sent their children to an international school in Bangkok, where they speak in English on a daily basis --this helped them teach me Thai. The parents spoke great English in my opinion and were very easy going people. Audra and I enjoyed an exceptionally adventurous weekend as we travelled with the family back and forth from Bangkok to their home outside the city and back again.

Here's a brief recap:


FRIDAY
Friday evening we arrived at the house to put our stuff down. We went to the local fresh market near their house to pick up things for dinner. Dinner was delicious as Thai food usually is. For dessert was cow neow mah muang (mango sticky rice...I know it's your favorite mom, it's so much better in Thailand, potentially deadly), YUM. After dinner, we went this German-style brewery/concert hall for drinks and entertainment. The hall was so large. I would estimate there to have been nearly 300 or more people there that night, with room for more. The stage provided the bulk of the entertainment, with everything from American Idol type singing, dramatic dances, one of my favorite numbers from Chicago ("All that Jazz"), acoustic guitar. Nearly all of the talented performers were Thai, yet a surprising number of the performed songs were in English. It was such a great night.





SATURDAY
In the morning we went to a place called Sathira-Dhamastan, a local meditation center near their house. As I was getting dressed for the day, I realized that I had never before been to a 'meditation center', and began to wonder if I would be able to fit in, or more importantly, connect to the ideas they would be practicing. I came to Thailand knowing that I am interested in Buddhism and meditation, but nevertheless concerned with my own ability to jump right in and feel a true connection. I can't explain fully how incredible it was that Pi Pikul (our homestay mother) introduced me to such a wonderful atmosphere. The center is aesthetically beautiful, and spiritually comforting. The center is run by nuns (essentially woman monks in my book), and focuses around a particular theme, if you will --the love between mother and child, and all that is sacred in bring a child into this world. I do not have children yet, but I was moved, I was connected. The ceremony, in progress when we arrived, was of course in Thai, and was being shared with one or two hundred women and children. We sat in the back. At one point, everyone turned in their seats to face the back of the person in front of them. I followed suit, a bit confused at first, and then smiling ear to ear as I realized what was happening. Everyone was giving and receiving shoulder/back massages by the people directly around them, be it strangers or not.

What an incredible concept to share --the idea of unbridled community, and the willingness to physically care for your neighbor. As we came back to center, these English words scrolled across the projector screen:


"To be happy and content is to give and share with other people the essence of what can make this a more beautiful world."



Water for the tree.



Making clay fruit with children. Yeah, I'm a big kid.


Later that day, we enjoyed lunch, and then went to the Siam Museum. The museum covered an exceptionally interactive account for Thai history and the concept of "Thainess." The building itself, previous home to the Thai Department of Commerce, was also very impressive.

Outside of the museum.

That night, Pah, Audra, and I stayed up late watching a DVD of Andre Rieu's Wonderland Concert. It's very hard to describe what it was like, but definitely something I will never forget watching. It was a great night to end an equally great day.

SUNDAY
We drove into Bangkok to visit a newly opened art gallery, in the vicinity of were I am living actually. The art gallery was great. It was a lot of fun hanging out with Gikko and Pah, talking about the art work, and taking pictures of them goofing off with me. After the museum, we went to MBK across the street for a quick snack. Then, we said goodbye to the family when they dropped us off at our dorm, and promised to meet again at the end of our grant in March.



So, the weekend exceeded any expectations I may have had. I was even given my first Thai nickname (nicknames are very very popular here). Wanna hear it? PenPahk. That's the name my homestay father gave me, and the name the family called me last weekend. I have already shared it with Pi Nan and the rest of the Fulbrighters...everyone seems to like it. PenPahk --the literal translation is "Moon Face", but it means something along the lines of beautiful face.

Until next time,
เพจ

No comments: