Saturday, November 8, 2008

Language, Sports, Music...Golden!

I am sitting in the English Department right now. Right now I am sitting in a chair in Thailand. I’m having one of those “someone please pinch me” moments. The lines seem to be blurred between time, place, work, and play. One thing is certain, I feel so appreciative to be here.


During my days here at PCC (short for Princess Chulabhorn’s College, the place I am working), I help students practice their English. At lunchtime each day, I practice my Thai with the faculty in the teacher’s room. In the afternoons, I play sports with the students. Yesterday, I went running around the soccer field. After dinner I was invited by some students to play volleyball –it was tons of fun! Tonight I have been asked to play basketball with some of the students.



Basically, news travels here about the “farangs” (foreigners). In case I haven’t mentioned, I also teach with two other American girls who went to college together in Pittsburgh. So, at this point they know that Paige is the athlete who will join in with the students for any sport. The students play many sports here at PCC, but to my disappointment, only the male students play football (soccer). I have also been asked several times to play tennis and join some of the running groups here.



On Friday, I am hosting an interest meeting for a group I am creating at school. I have posted the flyers I created throughout the school. I am so eager to see who will be interested.
Also, because of this idea and my willingness to share MP3 files of American music with the other teachers (CCR is the most requested thus far), I have been asked to travel in January as a representative of PCC Chiang Rai and a judge at the annual singing competition (all songs will be in English).



This Friday, the committee working with Fulbright Thailand will be traveling to Chiang Rai for their annual board meeting. This should include 15 or so board members, some of whom I have not met, as well as a handful of other important people to the program and to Thailand. I have been invited to join them for dinner, and am waiting to hear more details. I am absolutely pumped to see Brad and hear stories about his time teaching thus far.



Well, I have one more class to teach this afternoon.

Sawatdee jaow (northern Thai dialect = hello/goodbye)

1 comment:

Ryan and Ashley said...

Paige, thanks for keeping up with your blog. The office loves to read it. I look for new posts almost daily (although, I don't expect a new post to be written daily). It is so fun to "experience" a little bit of Thailand here in KY!