Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mid-Grant Meeting

For Thanksgiving, TUSEF paid for my flight to Bangkok. The purpose of the trip was three-fold: 1) to serve as a mid-grant meeting for the Fulbright grantees, 2) to celebrate Thanksgiving, 3) to share ideas and experiences with each other (the Fulbright ETAs).


The day before our departure to Bangkok, protestors had stormed in and shutdown the main airport in the city. Luckily, Brad and I were scheduled to fly from Chiang Rai to the other airport, Don Muang, in Bangkok. Brad and I arrived unscathed, only having experienced a two hour delay before departure. Other Fulbrighters however, were not quite as lucky. Later that evening, when all ten of us had arrived, stories began to surface. Karen and Kate had to take the seven hour bus from Sukkothai, Caryn was trapped inside Don Muang Airport due to protesting masses blocking the arrivals gate’s main exit, and Zoe’s and Chike’s flight had to be assisted in landing by the air force because protestors had taken over the control tower.
[photo: near Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok]


The next day, TUSEF had prepared a trip for us to a cultural center about 20km from Bangkok. It was a really nice day which included learning about local dancing, fruit carving, cooking, herbs, rice harvesting practices, pottery making, and silk making. I also fed my first adult-sized elephant. The picture is funny to me because the Thai man taking my photograph was encouraging me to put the banana in the elephant’s mouth as opposed to putting it in his trunk. So, my face reads: “in its mouth, really?”! Just for your frivolous information, an elephant’s trunk is actually the perfect vacuum attachment –when they want food, you can actually hear the suctioning sound of their anticipation. Lunch was an “international buffet” at the cultural center. Wow! It was such great food that all of us where warning each other to save room for Thanksgiving dinner later that evening.

For Thanksgiving dinner, we found ourselves at the remarkably impressive high-rise apartment of Khun Ann, PR Officer of the U.S. Embassy and TUSEF board member, and her husband, also with the Embassy. Dinner was fabulous, as was the wine. The company was exceptional. I was happy to spend time with P’Tip and P’Kee, as well as other TUSEF staff members, in a more personal setting. When you surround yourself / find yourself surrounded by such intellectual and motivated people, conversations are almost always enjoyable and motivating.

The next day was of the bulk of our mid-grant meeting. We spend the day in a boardroom at the Q House in the financial district of Bangkok, high above the commotion of Suhkumwit Road. The meetings were both informative and inspirational. As the day came to a close, I realized that I would go back to Chiang Rai with new ideas on how to be a more effective “agent of cultural exchange.” I was refreshed. I was ready to go home with a new sense of belonging –belonging to both America and Thailand, and having the cultural knowledge to help bridge the gap.


That evening, Kate and Caryn and I meet my friends P’Ko and P’Tu in the city for Mexican food. P’Ko and P’Tu are perhaps the wittiest Thai women I have ever met. I met them through contacts of my Uncle Steven (thanks, by the way). After dinner we went to P’Ko’s bar on Khao San Road. Yep, you read right, she owns a bar. In fact, her house is located behind the bar, where her three children were sleeping while we enjoyed some frozen concoctions. Apparently P’Ko’s family had always lived in that house, and it was only in the last forty years that Khao San Road has become backpackers central. The bar was crowded and fun! Zoe and Karen also met up with us later that night.
[photo (from left): P'Ko, me, Caryn, P'Tu, Kate, at a glorious mexican food feast]

The next day I was invited for lunch by Kate and her host family (remember the home stay experience I blogged about?). We had lunch at Fuji, which officially concluded an immaculate weekend of eating!

[photo: view of Khao San Road from the second floor of P'Ko's bar]


The return to our provinces at the end of the weekend was by bus. The airports remained closed for the next six days or so.

Much love to everyone at home,

Paige

No comments: