Sunday, December 21, 2008

The (In)sanity of Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Next week will be a crazy week of midterm exams. I am responsible for grading nearly 270 students based on oral presentations. This week has been crazy trying to help them prepare. Next week will be even more insane.

Just to be clear however, my sanity is not really a concern; it’s just a figure of speech. I’ve been running –my emotional and mental medicine if you will. Yesterday, I ran at night for the first time since I have been in Chiang Rai. Don’t worry mom and dad, I live at a fenced-in boarding school that is monitored by security guards. The stars were amazing, the music playing on my Ipod was wakening, and my optimism in life was refreshed. It’s amazing what such a simple activity, one foot in front of the other, can do for the human spirit.

Christmas is on Thursday! I miss my family very much. My Christmas plans include a trip to Myanmar, thanks to the kind heart of P’Tuang, to shop for cheap DVDs and red wine for the holidays. Next Friday I head to Bangkok to meet Kali –so excited! Karen, Caryn, Kate, and Zoe will also make the trip to Bangkok so we can celebrate New Year’s Eve together.

Happy holidays indeed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paige,

I'm so glad that you posted the link to this blog so that I can finally see/hear about your experience. Also glad to hear that you're not going insane, however its hard for me, personally, to understand how running is relieving stress. I would much prefer a warm bath, with a cheese and chocolate platter, and maybe a little Kenny G in the background. Oh well, I suppose different people deal with different pressures in different ways : )

Anyways, keep writing girl. I added this link to my favorites.

Lynne

paigebattcher said...

Lynne, so great to hear from you my friend. Kenny G is an invigorating stress-reliever indeed! Thanks for reading.

Wishing you well,

Paige