Friday, September 25, 2009

IronMan leads to an IronHeart


Although half-crazy when I signed up for this event, in August 2010 I will compete in my first IronMan distance triathlon (2.4mile swim, 112mile bike, 26.2mile run) on behalf of my sister Grace living with a congenital heart defect. Grace has had four open-heart surgeries since birth, her last in November 2009. Grace inspires me and I hope to inspire her as well, by showing that life can be as adventurous as you wish, each and every day.



[Grace (right) and friend Dallas (left) at Louisville World Fest 2009]

Realizing that Grace’s most recent surgery was only made possible during the last 12 years of medical advances (the number of years between her surgeries), I wish to raise money for research in this field. Please join me in my quest to raise money for The Children’s Heart Foundation, the only national non-profit specifically created to help fund congenital heart defect research.

Our goal is to raise $20,000! The fund-raising website is run by Kintera through the Janus Charity Challenge, exclusively for IronMan competitors. For the top fundraiser in each IronMan event, Janus will contribute an additional $10,000 to help support the chosen charity. The goal is for TEAM GRACE to raise the most money in coordination with the Louisville event, so that our total contribution to The Children’s Heart Foundation will be $30,000; enough to fund a research grant that could mend many hearts. Thanks in advance for your support!

Please join me in my quest to raise money for The Children’s Heart Foundation, the only national non-profit specifically created to help fund congenital heart defect research.

Click here to go to the Donation Page
http://bit.ly/charitypaige
The fund-raising website is run by Kintera through the Janus Charity Challenge.


The Children's Heart Foundation Website

5 comments:

klaus.ks said...

Paige, you got a heart of gold.

Buckner said...

You know you've got my support for anything you need Paige!!! Training rides, runs, swims, supplies, motivation, encouragement, technique, etc... I'm here for you.

And let's talk about how we might be able to get Grace involved AT Ironman Louisville. That way she can support you as you support her!!!

Great stuff Paige!!!

ironheartracing said...

I'm a Congenital Heart Patient. Ran Ironman CDA (2006) 13 months after surgery. Just registered for IM Florida (2010). I'll be raising $$ for Adult Congenital Heart Assoc. You should look at setting this up through the Janus Charity Challenge. You're a great inspiration! Train smart, train hard. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. View my story at http://sites.google.com/site/ironheartwatkins/

Best,
Dave
ironheartwatkins@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Paige - You have inspired me to race the Louisville IM for the American Diabetes Association.

Thank you!

Nels Matson said...

It was great meeting you this weekend! What you're doing is amazing!